The Oxford Dictionary defines wellness as “a state of being healthy”. It further defines the associate concept of well-being a “a general state of emotional, physical, psychosocial health and happiness”.
Companies adopt Employee Assistance Programmes (EAP) in order to maintain a productive, effective and functional working environment. The goal of an EAP is to ensure the effective management of wellness of the individual, and ultimately the organization, that can be influenced by emotional, environmental, intellectual, occupational, physical, social, financial and spiritual matters mental health of employees. EAPs cover everything from stress-related illness, drug and alcohol addictions to family related stress, grief, marital problems, depression, anxiety, and more.
These types of programmes have proven highly effective for the wider success of companies that employ them and for the individual employees of those companies. When these things are going on and the employee IS at work, other problems can result. Mistakes are made, productivity lessens, tempers flare – it does affect their co-workers and the overall environment. The aim of an EAP is to reduce the amount of time employees take away from work and to ensure that when they return they do so with renewed strength and optimal mental health.
So, why do YOU need an EAP? Here are 10 important reasons why your company needs an Employee Assistance Programme.
1. IMPROVED PRODUCTIVITY: When an employee is dealing with personal issues such as mental illness, family problems or substance abuse, to name a few, the result is often a drop in productivity at work. EAPs provide the company with prevention techniques, assessment protocols and health management services. This means that while helping your employees deal with all of life’s ups and downs, and we all know these are unavoidable, you are also ensuring effective company growth and development.
2. REDUCED COMPANY COSTS: When an employee is suffering personally, it is likely their work will suffer too. The bottom line is when this occurs, the company incurs financial losses. Employee Assistance Programmes are designed to reduce the impact that social, psychological or physical problems have on the employee in order to reduce the financial impact on the company.
3. THIRD PARTY ASSISTANCE: EAPs are third party agencies that specialize in connecting employees with appropriate services according to their needs. EAPs work with the company to provide employees with the best possible health, safety and training services. They assess individual employee needs and if needed, refer employees to suitable services and provide employees and their families with confidential access to professional health services.
4. INCREASED MORALE AND WORKPLACE HARMONY: A happy and healthy employee is a productive and effective one. EAPs ensure that your employees are well taken care of as individuals so that they can perform as part of your team. An EAP provides prevention and management services that ensure employees are happy and healthy.
5. REDUCED ABSENTEEISM: Absenteeism costs the company money. Frequent absenteeism can be devastating to business. EAPs reduce the amount of time employees take off work. These programs aim to provide a range of prevention and treatment options for employees and their families.
6. REDUCED TURNOVER: A high turnover of employees can be costly for any company. EAPs effectively reduce the turnover of employees by managing work related and personal stress. EAPs improve the working environment in terms of morale and company support ensuring employees are well looked after, and less likely to leave their jobs.
7. REDUCED ACCIDENTS AT WORK: It is easy to see how accidents can happen at work when you’re stressed. A person suffering from stress-related symptoms will often experience difficulty with concentration, mental focus and physical function. This can be a dangerous combination in any environment. An EAP is equipped to prevent this from occurring or at least prevent it from reoccurring. EAPs look after the mental health and ability of your employees ensuring that they are able to function at the required level.
8. RESOLUTION OF WORK RELATED PROBLEMS: External stress often results in a reduction in workplace performance. Problems within the working environment lead to absenteeism, high turnover and low morale. EAPs look after the physiological health of employees developing strategies for coping with external stress as well as work related stress.
9. PROFESSIONAL SERVICES: EAPs connect troubled employees to professional services. One of the great things about an EAP is they are able to connect employees directly with these services and the first appointment will usually occur within a few days. This means that your employees are getting the help they need quickly, dealing with and averting crisis situations.
10. IMPROVED WORK PERFORMANCE: Companies employing the services of a professional EAP have not only experienced increases in productivity but also in quality of work. Work performance is greatly affected by stress and personal problems often cause this to escalate. An EAP manages these problems and ensures employee issues are quickly resolved. This means fewer mistakes at work, higher quality output and an overall increase in work place performance.
Troubled employees don’t leave their personal problems at home… They bring them to work, where they can appear as tardiness, irritability, missed deadlines and appointments, accidents and diminished job interest. Businesses have found that Employee Assistance Programmes can and DO help employees overcome personal problems that affect their jobs…and their lives…and your work environment.
Incon Health EAP will work to help you increase productivity, retain valuable, trained employees, reduce accidents, handle employee crisis intervention, provide supervisor training and consultation, and address issues related to turnover and staff issues.